The plan focuses on reducing the impact every aspect of the organisation has on the environment, focusing on three key areas; current rented stock, new developments and ways of working.
Midland Heart’s first step has been to benchmark their carbon footprint, looking at not only the carbon emissions of their direct assets, but those of their supply chain and supporting activities. Following this, the housing association has detailed its actions for the coming year. These include:
- Deliver the UK’s first homes built to future home standards in Handsworth Birmingham, using traditional building methods and local contractors
- Moving all properties to EPC band D or above before moving all properties to EPC band C by 2030
- Developing low carbon requirements for new homes alongside delivery partners
- Devising a roadmap to bring energy usage down c20% by 2030
- Setting clear expectations with suppliers and embed sustainability within the procurement process